Referrals and Assessments

Do you have concerns about your child’s…

  • Hearing

  • Moving

  • Talking

  • Play

  • Learning

  • Behavior

  • Or has your child had a medical diagnosis that affects development?

Some babies and young children need extra help to learn and grow and South Washington County Schools can provide that help. A referral to early intervention services can be made through:

Amy Whinnery

ECSE Intake Coordinator for South Washington County Schools

Phone: 651-425-6134

Following a referral, your child may be assessed to determine if they are eligible and in need of special education services. Assessment staff may include: an ECSE Teacher, Speech/Language Pathologist, Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist, Nurse, and/or a School Psychologist.

Other agencies that may provide helpful information:

Help Me Grow provides resources for families to look at developmental milestones, to learn if there are concerns, and to take the lead in seeking additional support or in referring their child for a comprehensive, confidential screening or evaluation at no cost. Click here to go to Help Me Grow's website.

If your child is not eligible for early intervention services, your family may be referred to other community (public or private) agencies for further assistance and support. These organizations could include the Follow Along Program, which helps parents learn if their child is talking, moving, playing and acting like other children at the same age. It is for parents of all children from birth to age 3, living in Washington County. Learn more about the Follow Along Program by clicking here.